Get it on Google Play

 

How parents encourage their children to lie

According to research conducted at the Josephson Institute of Ethics in California, 92 percent of teens surveyed admitted to lying to their parents at least once in the last year... and as the joke goes, "the other 8 percent lied about lying to their parents". It is pretty simple- teens just don't want to suffer the consequences of telling the truth. What's the harm in a "little white lie"? A lot is at stake when it comes to our teenagers.

We can't expect the teenager to tell us everything all the time, however, it is extremely important that we create a safe environment that encourages conversation and the opportunity to teach our adolescent child how to make good decisions. Ironically, an adolescent often doesn't realize it's wrong to break an agreement with their parent; they do so in an effort to prove their autonomy or to connect with peers, sometimes, almost unconsciously, because they knew you had a rule against it.

It's fine that they are searching for their independence and defining their own identities, but at the same time, our children want guiding principles to help them in their search for independence.

Our teens need their parent's guidance on how to make sound choices while spreading their wings.

Here's What We As Parents Can Do To Help Prevent Our Teens From Lying to Us -

Starting Early -

Parents can model positive behaviors by being truthful with their children when they are young and telling them you expect the same honesty in return. If they catch you in a fib, they justify that it is okay to play the same game, but, over time, they up the ante, especially as young adolescents.

Our children are never too young to understand the concept of being honest. Unfortunately, our society adheres to the philosophy that, at times, it is

Pages

Your Views

 

 

 

Zircon - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.